The vine and the branches
Kids’ talk with Rob
Read together John 15:1-8
“I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.
“I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.
- “Who is the vine?” – Jesus
- “Who is the gardener?” – God
- “Who are the branches?” – those who believe in Jesus
- “What does the gardener do here?” – He cuts away the dead branches, the ones that don’t produce any fruit
- What happens when a branch is cut away from a vine or a tree? – It withers away and dies
- Does it grow on its own? – No
- If you were to plant that branch in the ground, would it grow? – No
This passage reminds us that Jesus is the vine and we are the branches. Fruitful branches are cut back to promote growth and branches that don’t bear fruit are cut off the trunk. When we remain in Jesus, we will produce good fruit like
- Loving our neighbour
- Being peaceful
- Keeping joyful and
- Being kind to others
How can we, the branches, stay connected to Jesus, the vine?
- Reading our bibles
- Praying to God
- Praising God
- Reading devotions and
- Joining everyone on Church on Line
Ask God to help you stay connected to Him.
- Lost Sheep series books – “Basil the Branch”
- Make a tree out of LEGO
- Make a bunch of grapes of Playdough that are connected to the vine
- Draw or Paint a picture of your favourite climbing tree or a vine with grapes on it.