10 Years On
2019 is the 10th Anniversary of the ordination of the first OPMs in the Bendigo Diocese. There were three of us as OPMs in conjunction with four OLMs to all be ordained. We made the front page of the Bendigo papers when the Vatican was called upon to stop us being ordained in a Catholic Church building because St Pauls was closed.
On the day at St Andrews Uniting Church, on St Andrews day in the middle of the ceremony the drought broke with a heavy deluge of rain that was deafening in the Church.
Great memories, to reflect on, of the power and grace of God and His love for us in Christ Jesus. I have come to appreciate that the outward vestments of ordination are nothing without the inward spirit foundations of Christ Jesus and Him crucified.
For me calling to memory what is required of me and what belongs to the Lord helps keep the focus on Christ Jesus.
- I don’t have to worry about salvation of others as salvation belongs to the Lord (Revelation 7:10).
- I don’t have to worry about building the Church as this is Jesus’ work – ‘I will build my church and the gates of hell will not prevail’ (Matthew 16:8).
- I am not in a position to judge, as this too is the work of the risen Lord Jesus (Matthew 7:1).
- It is not me who works, ‘fot it is God who works in me to will and act for His good pleasure’ (Philippians 2:13).
- As Christians we are all part of the royal priesthood, we are all holy ministers by faith (1 Peter 2:9).
- He has called us all to be a witness of Him and He has commissioned us to be disciple makers, ‘baptising them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit’ (Matthew 28:19-20).
We are all pioneers for Christ Jesus whether ordained or not ordained. We all have the same call to be believers and followers of Christ Jesus as ‘it is in Him that we live and move and have our being’ (Acts 17:28). We are all aliens in this world as we belong to the Kingdom of God, not to this world.
While you might not be a cycling fanatic like me, God has planted you where He can best work through you to see His Kingdom come, and His will done through the redeeming blood of Christ Jesus. May His spoken word and written word become the living meditative word alive in your very being.
Ordained Pioneer Minister